Sunday, December 26, 2010

Ancient History

First, at the beginning of time, there was the Big Bang, and particles of matter traveled and expanded over the universe at astounding speeds... Right, history that's not quite that ancient!

I first had the idea to put together a website when doing the adventurists events - the Mongol Rally in '06 and '08 and the Rickshaw Run in 2008. They provided us with a fairly rudimentary system to send SMS messages to their website, which specified a location, and their site then mapped our route. It was cute, it was interesting, there were various bugs, I didn't really think it was all that well done (no, really, have a look for yourself here), so in the fall of last year, prior to departing for another three month trip around the world, I put together my own version. It looked a lot like this. Which is to say it was [barely] functional, while remaining utterly devoid of any sort of formatting. In fact, it was actually still evolving as I was starting to travel - I added the ability to link to a photo album while hanging out with friends in Nagoya, Japan. But it worked, hooray!

I proceeded to put together sites for the '08 Rickshaw Run and my trip to Antarctica in February of '09 as test sites and happily rested on my laurels. Thus ends the ancient history.

No comments:

Post a Comment