Sunday, December 26, 2010

The next step: Evolution!

The next step finally brings us to the website as it is today: http://www.safety3rdblog.com/. I spent some three weeks re-organizing the entire site into a prettier, more user-friendly layout, and on December 15, a day before my birthday, the site was re-born, with this announcement to the world. My mother enjoyed the picture I'd included...

Where do we go from here? I'm not really sure - there is a lot of work that can be put into the website. Just a few things off the top of my head:
- improve performance via limiting the number of items initially displayed in the News Feed
- further improve performance by only loading the parts of the route onto the map that are currently displayed (the map is far and away the slowest element of the site)
- re-write most of the back-end code to make it an enterprise-level product: use source control, clean up and better organize the code, properly engineer the database, improve the CSS, preferably switch to CakePHP
- Search, filter, email, other features that are now available, but are not yet implemented
- add support for Videos
- add Admin tools to the website
- find a way to actually integrate with Facebook
- add a way for others to create sites of their own

Can I monetize the whole thing somehow?

So, there's plenty to do, if I choose to pursue any of it. For now, I have a lengthy to do list and I'll see about getting around to it. And just so that you, the audience of the outside world, may keep up with my progress, I've just created this blog which I will attempt to duly update tracking the changes and updates I make to the website. We'll see how good I'll be about this, but I promise to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment